dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #1015

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed May 18 06:02:06 EDT 2005

>On Tue, 17 May 2005 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
>> Whoever put that up didn't have a Riverside Chaucer to hand, I
>> expect.

and Paul replied

>That would be Eric Raymond <blanked address>, the editor of The Jargon
>File. You ought to tell him; he strikes me as the kind of man who
>would consider the increase in random world knowledge a fair trade for
>having to give up his neat theory.

Thanks for that email address.  I've sent him mail quoting what I said
here, 'cos if he is that sort of person he'd be embarrassed at spreading
wrong gen.

Not so much an increase in world knowledge as a decrease in misinformation
in the world, I suppose, because he won't be wanting to put in the fact
that this "flame" business hasn't got a lot to do with Chaucer, there'd be
no point.  It hasn't got a lot to do with Wordsworth either, to name
another poet at random, but there'd be no point in saying that either.  :-)

Minnow