Conrad's Fate (with spoilers)

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue May 17 16:21:32 EDT 2005

Elise:

Replenishing spoiler space, without reply lines

>The first one I selected I realized Robyn wrote, but the second one
>I wasn't entirely clear on. I'm too hasty!  But were you saying that
>you found Conrad unsympathetic, Hallie?

It wasn't a complaint - just an explanation of why I wouldn't clarify
those two statements - or attempt to do so - not capable of
clarifying anything just now!  I didn't really find Conrad
unsympathetic, but I also didn't find him particularly sympathetic
either.  I could certainly understand why he was unable to see
through the Uncle's manipulation, but it didn't particularly move me.
Mitt, Christopher, Polly - those were all characters I both
understood and seriously cared about.  That's not the complete list
of such characters, of course, but just the three first off the top
of my head.

The 'even if the lack of sympathy is only due to idiocy' remark was a
bit carelessly put too -  I never found Christopher really
unsympathetic, but was just referring to the times when  he did
idiotic things for Uncle Ralph or came off arrogant and uncaring
without understanding how he seemed.

>Is there *ever* a redemption of a seemingly
>>unsympathetic female character, come to think of it?  Mara's the
>>closest I can think of, but she's not really unsympathetic.
>
>Astrid in Eight Days of Luke?

Nice one!  I'd forgotten that - being long over-due for a reread.

Hallie