dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #1015

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Tue May 17 15:00:26 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 07:51:58PM +0100, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>Not in the least unsympathising, because that sounds as if "etiquette" was
>the last thing on the person in question's mind and it seems a bit
>unnecessary, but is a rude email "flame"?  I'm asking absolutely seriously,
>because I'd always assumed that "flame" was a public thing, usually
>involving several participants all getting heated, rather than one
>individual doing a top-blowing Krakatoa imitation.

Originally it was a post on the ancestors of USENET, but it's come to
encompass all Net-based forms of communication certainly including
mailing lists; I do think it has to go to more than just the two people
involved to be called a flame, though.

If other people join in with their own flames, that's a flamewar.

>This is all part of the endless quest for information; does anyone here
>have any old-fangled definition or origin for this usage of the word, so
>that I will know how best to apply it when I want to ask someone not to?

I'll forward you some other definitions by private mail.