Conrad's Fate (with spoilers)

mecha godscylla mechagodscylla at hotmail.com
Mon May 16 23:33:59 EDT 2005

Hallie asked:
>You did get that those quotes were Robyn and not me, Elise?

The first one I selected I realized Robyn wrote, but the second one I wasn't
entirely clear on. I'm too hasty!  But were you saying that you found Conrad
unsympathetic, Hallie?

I did get rather
>hopeful that there was going to be an Ogre-style redemption of the mother
>towards the end, which would have helped for me, but we didn't get it.

True and Gabriel has a dampening comment to toss out when the mother shows
regret. But I thought that Anthea showed an interest knowledge of and pride
in (despite all) her mother, when the latter showed up in the moth-eaten
mustard colored evening dress. I think I took that as a degree of acceptance
on her part, though obviously she held the line against coming home, etc.
But I thought Conrad was still pole-axed by the difference between how
things really were and how he thought they were, if anything. Of course the
narrative is done in retrospect, so I don't know - it is very much show not
tell as Minnow pointed out.

Is there *ever* a redemption of a seemingly
>unsympathetic female character, come to think of it?  Mara's the closest I
>can think of, but she's not really unsympathetic.

Astrid in Eight Days of Luke?

:D

Elise