Conrad's Fate (with spoilers)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon May 16 23:15:05 EDT 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005 HSchinske at aol.com wrote:

|In a message dated 5/16/05 4:05:14 PM Central Daylight Time, Dorian E. Gray
|writes:
|

|> I wouldn't say this is one of DWJ's best, but I enjoyed it, and I'd rank it
|>
|> above "A Tale of Time City" or "The Homeward Bounders" or "Black Maria".
|
|I'd rank CF above TOTC or _Black Maria_, but not above _The Homeward
|Bounders_. I think HB is a brilliant book, and I was just thinking about it because of
|the first-person business -- in general, I am not wild about first person. I
|always feel it should be used only when the book has just *got* to be told
|that way. I think _The Homeward Bounders_ is the only one of DWJ's first-person
|narratives that I really, really like *as* a first-person narrative, rather
|than putting up with the first person because I like the story so much. (I could
|of course be forgetting some other ones I like, which is entirely possible
|given how many books she's written). I didn't see any particular reason that
|_Conrad's Fate_ couldn't just as well have been told in third. I'll see if I can
|get round to reading it again and think it over.

Ditto.  I like CF more than most people in this thread -- I see people's
ponts about Conrad, but I adore the castle, which is more of the main
character to me -- but Homeward Bounders is one of my absolute favorite
DWJ books.  I adore Jamie; he's a complete character to me, and I feel
for him so much.  And I have a big old crush on Him on His Rock.

-deborah
--
Before everything else I'm a human being.
					- Nora, _A Dolls' House_