Fire and Hemlock musical terms

Juliette Curtis juliette at harvestroad.com
Mon May 16 22:44:25 EDT 2005

Sorry -- accidentally hit Send before finishing the email. Here is the complete email.

I played the flute a lot in my teenage years and can offer a non-academic explanation of these terms. They tell a musician how a piece of music is to be played -- how fast, in what style, whether smoothly or energetically or whatever. The instruction is  printed on the top left corner of the sheet music. Here are the translations that I was taught:

allegro vivace: quickly and brightly

andante cantabile: A slower, sweet, song-like style

allegro con fuoco: quickly and with fire

presto molto agitato: fast and agitated

scherzando: light and playful, dance-like

Hope that helps.
Juliette