dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #1015

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Mon May 16 17:41:22 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 10:22:30PM +0100, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

>Well, yes, that is part of the point.  That and the fact that, apparently,
>HTML messages do very strange things to the digests (I don't do the digest
>thing, personally, but I gather that one HTML mail in a digest can either
>make everything come out formatted as that message was, or fill one or all
>of the messages in the digest with gobbledegook).

The problem is that conventional email has headers and a body, which
are separate chunks; a digest can take selected headers (From:,
Subject: and Date:, usually) and the body, and all is well. When
there's a multi-part message involved, though, the information that it
_is_ multi-part is in a header which doesn't get looked at, and things
go Horribly Wrong (OMT, probably).

All in all I think it's probably good policy to squash all list
messages into plain text; that's certainly what I do on my own lists,
and I haven't heard any complaints.

Roger