Conrad's Fate (with spoilers)

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon May 16 17:28:24 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/16/05 4:05:14 PM Central Daylight Time, Dorian E. Gray
writes:

> I wouldn't say this is one of DWJ's best, but I enjoyed it, and I'd rank it
>
> above "A Tale of Time City" or "The Homeward Bounders" or "Black Maria".

I'd rank CF above TOTC or _Black Maria_, but not above _The Homeward
Bounders_. I think HB is a brilliant book, and I was just thinking about it because of
the first-person business -- in general, I am not wild about first person. I
always feel it should be used only when the book has just *got* to be told
that way. I think _The Homeward Bounders_ is the only one of DWJ's first-person
narratives that I really, really like *as* a first-person narrative, rather
than putting up with the first person because I like the story so much. (I could
of course be forgetting some other ones I like, which is entirely possible
given how many books she's written). I didn't see any particular reason that
_Conrad's Fate_ couldn't just as well have been told in third. I'll see if I can
get round to reading it again and think it over.

Helen Schinske