dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #1015

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon May 16 14:48:43 EDT 2005

Minnow said...

> JOdel had problems:
>
>>Okay, okay. Now that's just too much altogether. I'l accept black type on
>>cyan background. I won't like it, but I'll accept it. Black type on a cyan
>>background is still readable.
>>
>>This time (Digest #1015) it came in a black type on a BLUE background.
>>That
>>is NOT READABLE without a LOT of EFFORT! Whatever it is yo uare doing,
>>please
>>STOP!
>
> Can one not teach one's computer to say words to the effect "sod this for
> game of marbles" and display any and all text coming into it in
> black-on-white regardless of the whim of the sender?

I suspect it may depend on the mail program one uses.

I'm using Outlook Express, and that certainly does allow such teaching
(Tools/Options/Read tab; tick the "display all messages in plain text" box).
But I don't know if all of them do it.

> I find it all easier on the eyes that way.

Very much so.  Even HTML messages that aren't possessed of millions of
colours have a tendency to show up (if not prevented) in Arial 9-point,
which is teeny.

(Several lists I'm on insist that members use plain text only.)

Dorian.