Conrad's Fate (with spoilers)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon May 16 09:39:29 EDT 2005

Otter wrote:

>I wasn't annoyed by Conrad, nor did I doubt his bad luck.
>
>Maybe I'm just unobservant.

Or maybe you are observant: after all, being born into as disfunctional a
family as his must surely be karma/luck bad enough for *anyone*.

I'm glad someone (thanks Jennifer) has pointed out that he is only 12, as
well: I think it may be a little unfair to castigate a child that age as an
idiot for failing to question what his only adult "carer" has been telling
him since he was 8.  Given that his mother is a complete non-parent and
waste of space, so busy being a feminist that she has no time to do
anything for the children she's produced, and his sister has escaped and
left him in charge of all the housework, I think he's done a reasonably
good job of bringing himself up so far, and I can't really blame him for
taking his uncle's word for things, particularly when the other
authority-figures in his world back his uncle up.

He may be a bit unsympathetic, but abused children often don't sparkle very
much.

Minnow