Conrad's Fate

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sun May 15 22:25:47 EDT 2005

My own take on Conrad himself, is that he isn't truly *stupid*, but that he's
spent so much of his life adapting to a particular situation, and he started
so early doing it, that he's never taken any time whatsoever to even *try* to
think outside the box. In a normal family he would have gone to school gotten
good grades gotten as good a "starter job" as possible, and worked his way up
through the ranks of the same company for the next 30-40 years.

With any luck his years in Chrestomancy Castle will have given him a bit
broader view.

I got a distinct impession that Anthea (and yes, i noticed that she's our
second Anthea) genuinely regretted having to abandon him, but it was either
abandon him or be trapped herself. And getting trapped herself, wouldn't really
save him.

The impression I've gotten from an overview of Jones's work is that there was
a whole generation in there that were just plain piss-poor parents. With some
exceptions. Quentin and Catriona seem to be doing fairly well. But Conrad and
Anthea's mum was a woman who should simply have NEVER had kids. She had a
typewriter. And used it. And if she had stuck at that, very few people would have
much to criticize about how she lived her life.

To me it was a fun "little" book, but nothing major. Though there is more to
it if you want to go looking for it. (And boy did Millie get herself into a
pickle! She really *needed* rescuing!)