Conrad's Fate (with spoilers)

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Sun May 15 05:17:40 EDT 2005

At 07:39 PM 12/05/2005, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:
> > ---
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I suggest it's time to start a discussion of Conrad's fate.
> >

> > SPOILER SPACE
> >

>I loved this- the ending was rather abrupt, but that was about my only
>complaint. Series Seven really came alive as a setting, despite mostly
>only seeing one house!
>The way that Conrad and Anthea had turned out all right despite awful
>parents (and Robert, Felice and Hugo seemed to, as well, although we
>didn't see as much of them) is a nice hopeful touch.
>Jennifer

I really enjoyed "Conrad's fate" as well - the many details about the
house, gradually tightening storyline and the overriding sense of fun made
it a classic Chrestomanci story IMO.

I didn't think the ending was too abrupt (IIRC), but I definitely didn't
like the epilogue - it seemed a poor method of finishing a story,
especially as DWJ doesn't usually feel compelled to say what happened after
a story ends. It just felt too tacked on and pandering to those readers
that say they need to know ALL of a story in one book.

I agree with later posters that the family tension and depcition of the
uncle wasn't as good as in some other DWJ novels, but felt that it was
still a great book - not as good as LoCC but better than "Witch week".
(Although my DWJ relative likes are quite fluid so this might change!)

Emma