Fire & Hemlock

Rene Fleischbein rene_fleischbein at hotmail.com
Wed May 11 15:50:50 EDT 2005

Hi Jenny & All,

Because I am using Fire and Hemlock in my thesis I asked an Italian friend
to translate these words.  She said they were very specialized words for
music and sent them to her mother to have them explained by an Italian music
teacher.  My friend then translated the explanation that was given.  Here it
is...

=============
They are conventional terms used to define the general character of a
musical piece, or part of one. The most common terms are usually written at
the beginning of the music page (?); from the SLOWEST to the FASTEST, they
are as follows: grave (40); largo (48); lento (60); adagio (69); andante
(80); andantino (100); moderato  (108); allegretto (116); allegro (120);
allegro assai 160); vivace (168); presto  (184); prestissimo (200).
The number in parentheses correspond to the number of beats per minute. The
metronome is the instrument used to measure their pace.
Oftentimes the abovementioned terms are accompanied by adjectives which are
used to define the expressive character of the musical piece. Therefore,
"allegro vivace" is a fast-paced, happy piece between 120 and 168 beats per
minute (for example, the first movement of Symphony #40 'Jupiter' by
Mozart); "andante cantabile" is a bit slower than a normal walk, reminds of
a stroll in a quiet place, with pleasant sounds (the second movement of the
abovementiones symphony); "allegro con fuoco" is hard to describe with
words, but listen to the finale of Concert #1 for piano and orchestra by
Tchaikovsky; "presto molto agitato" is illustrated by the finale of Symphony
#9 by Beethoven; "scherzando" results "funny", but check the second movement
of Symphony #8 by Beethoven.

I hope it helps. I don't know how much classical music you have access to,
but if you need I can see if I manage to download any of them, or if I
already have them on my computer. You might also find useful help here:
http://www.dolmetsch.com/defsa.htm, it's a dictionary of musical terms
online. They have the original words in Italian and the explanation in
English.

=========

As my friend told me, I hope this helps...

Best,
Rene