Oz and Howl

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon May 2 15:10:49 EDT 2005

I wouldn't normally have mentioned this, but I want Paul to know he's not alone in the echoing vaults of Chrestomanci Castle...
I was checking out Howl on IMDB the other day, and on the message boards I came across someone making the same (or similar - but less detailed) comparisons with the Wizard of Oz that were made a few months ago by our own Gili: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347149/board/nest/18463680.
For interest, as they say.
Charlie

> Message date : May 02 2005, 08:35 AM
> From : "Paul Andinach"
> To : "Diana Wynne Jones Discussion List"
> Copy to :
> Subject : Re: Chrestomanci thought - no spoilers
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Paul Andinach wrote:
>
> > It would depend, in the first instance, on the existance of a female
> > nine-lifed enchanter. There's been no mention of that topic, either,
> > although enchantresses of lesser stripe have appeared (Christopher's
> > mother was one).
>
> Having consulted my notes, I see that Christopher's mother was merely
> a sorceress; but Millie, as DWJ notes in that Q&A thing, is an
> enchantress.
>

> Normally I would not have bothered issuing the correction, but the
> silence is unnerving me. Somebody say something!
>

> Paul
> --
> "Hold fast to the one noble thing."
>
> --