OT - German (was: Random DWJ discovery of the day)

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Mar 31 16:54:23 EST 2005

Colin replied to me...

>> It has now been amply demonstrated that I know less than I thought I did
>> about the relationship between German spelling and German pronunciation,
>> so I shall go quietly away to absorb this new piece of information, and
>> refrain from further comment.
>>
> Oh, I hope not! (Respectful) argument is the spice of life.

Oh, indeed, but I have now lost this particular argument, because more than
one person has demonstrated that they know more than I do about the topic in
question, and the more that they know has invalidated - or, perhaps better,
over-ruled - the less that I know.

For me to argue further would be both futile and stupid; therefore, I retire
gracefully from the lists, recognising that at least I have learned
something.

Knowing when to stop is, after all, also a valuable skill.

Dorian.