Completely OT: overseas study

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 31 12:31:46 EST 2005

Aimee Smith wrote:

> I'd like to do both houses and doors, and throw in other bits of
> interesting architecture, and possibly furniture too, and then do the
> topic through the whole of English Literature from Beowulf to Bronte
> and The Yellow Wallpaper, but I think that's a bit much for an honours
> topic, don't you? And their role in film is another thing entirely...
> It's probably all been done before and better, but it gives me thrills
> just thinkin' about investigating it. And writing a fantasy novel with
> what I find out. Actually, I've started that already... But that's
> another story...
> So, in answer to the topic or to the overseas uni idea... anyone?

The first thing I'll say is that it sounds like a cool topic, but
probably a bit big for an honours project. My suggestion about finding a
place to study is to think about who you want to supervise your thesis.
Have you read any criticism by anyone who inspires you? There are also,
to my mind, 2 different ways you could go about looking for a program.
Do you want to go somewhere where there is a strong speculative fiction
program, or are you looking for someone to support the theoretical ideas
about space and place? There are people who have written on spaces in
the way you are framing your inquiry, although they have not written on
the same texts as you are suggesting.

Robyn