word order (was Re: Random DWJ discovery of the day)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Mar 31 08:50:03 EST 2005

</lurk> <!-- at the immediate moment, anyway -->

I'm currently plowing my way through _the stories of English_ by David
Crystal -- a rather painful read, but full of fascinating information,
which is the only reason I'm still making it.  Anyway, he talks about
how word order used to matter less (though it still mattered) in
English, back in the day, when English was an inflected language.  Even
in his examples of old English convoluted word order, though, subject
almost always precedes object.  He points out how moving the verb around
is still allowed in poetic language or in Dagoban (yes, he actually does
point out that example).

I would go into more detail, but I have to pretend to work now.

<lurk id="on this discussion">

-deborah
--
"I assume that some great catastrophe has occured that would
require us to sit upon a weeping lady?"