Random DWJ discovery of the day

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Wed Mar 30 13:47:33 EST 2005

> Colin said...
>
> > German is not as orderly and predictable as you might think.
> > 'ȁu' and 'eu' are pronounced identically, as are '-ig' and '-ich' in at
> > least some dialects; and 's' is pronounced differently if it precedes
> 't'
> > or 'p' in the same syllable (but not if they are in different
> syllables).
>
> What was that square symbol meant to represent?  The only thing I can
> think
> of is that you were aiming for a u-umlaut - which is certainly *not*
> pronounced the same as "eu".  U-umlaut and "ue" *are* pronounced the
>same,*

maybe äu and eu, as in Säule and Keule (last time my öüä came out
straight...?
and the s-thing might be "St" as "Scht" as in Stein pronouced Schtein (Stein
as in stone would be norddeutsch, which sounds pretty English to me, as in
geev for gib)

Bettina

*which made me smile when I read about "Meusli with fresh berries" on an
English menu... they were probably serving "Müsli", and wanted to write
"Muesli". Pronouced the way it was written it would sound like Mäusli, which
would mean small mouse in the same dialect müsli seams to come from. (I
doubt that I could have made that sentence orderly in German, but that would
have been entirely *my* shortcoming ;-)

I wonder about the word-order thing, esp. the sublte variants in English.
Probably they've been lost on me so far...?

--
Sparen beginnt mit GMX DSL: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl