New Amazon Feature S.I.P.

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Mar 26 04:25:39 EST 2005

Ven:

>So this is Amazon's latest feature
>--Statistically Improbable Phrases, or "SIPs",
>which "show you the interesting, distinctive, or
>unlikely phrases that occur in the text of books
>in Search Inside the Book. Our computers scan the
>text of all books in the Search Inside program.
>If they find a phrase that occurs a large number
>of times in a particular book relative to how
>many times it occurs across all Search Inside
>books, that phrase is a SIP in that book."

Bless your eyesight, Ven!  I went to check I'd the right answers to
the two challenges (I had), and couldn't find the SIPs at all at
first.  What a wonderful new displacement activity.

_Bellwether_ was fun, though I'd have expected 'completely itch' to
show up, along with 'po-mo pink', rather than 'radical red' and
'significant scientific breakthroughs'.  And Catherine Fisher's _The
Oracle Betrayed_ shared 'brazen bowl' with, among other more obvious
books, several about Laura Ingalls Wilder and the Little House books,
though none of the actual books in the series themselves.  ?

Hallie