Bound/er/s

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 16:49:30 EST 2005

Kyra:

> And then I went on to think that, Them actually being a reasonably fair
> way of interpreting the Greek gods, it made perfect sense for DWJ to use
> Prometheus as the main hero of the rebellion, just like Shelley did
> (although, of course, "Adonais" is pretty damn neo-Platonist, so, if
> Shelley is at all consistent, he may be coming from a different place in
> his attack).  And then I thought, "oh, wait, _Prometheus __Bound___."  And
> somehow, as far as I can remember, in twelve years of having read the
> book, I have never thought of that particular bit of wordplay before.  I
> mean, sure, "Homeward Bound-ers."  I grew up listening to Simon and
> Garfunkle - I got that bit.  And the "bounds" being a shortened form of
> "boundaries" between the worlds.  Sure.  I knew there was wordplay there.
> But I never got that bit.  Obviously, all the Homeward Bounders are bound,
> too. . .

I agree that all these meanings of 'bound' are in there, and I like the way
they combine the apparently-contradictory notions of movement (being
homeward bound) and stasis (being bound to one place). Neo-Platonism aside,
it's also always seemed to me that there's a pretty direct reference to
Plato's cave allegory from the Republic in this sentence: "For a while after
that, I went round seeing all worlds as nothing more than coloured lights on
a wheel reflected on a wall. They are turning the wheel and lighting the
lights, and all we get is the reflections, no more real than that."

Charlie