Favourite Fictional Characters

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 15:11:48 EST 2005

Just came across this from The Independant of March 3;

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/features/story.jsp?story=616202

Terry Pratchett reveals his favourite as Flashman
while Phillip Pulman likes TinTin, however listmembers
will be most interested in this one;

Emma

Chosen by Diana Wynne Jones (Conrad's Fate)

Jane Austen's Emma is so very human. She is always
plunging into such embarrassing mistakes - and yet
they're the mistakes one longs to make oneself, like
telling the tediously garrulous Miss Bates to shut up.
And, bless her, she is truly ashamed when she does,
because she is actually very nice. Nicer than I am by
a long way.

Nice to see DWJ listed as one of Britain's "100
literary luminaries ......the leading lights of
British letters"

Minnow, I see that Joanne Harris shares your (and my)
liking for Nigel Molesworth.

Jon