Howl casting

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Mar 17 12:37:38 EST 2005

Here's the text of Nausicaa.net's announcement (
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/newspro/latest_news.shtml#newsitemEEEEpFZZupHhvGXBvJ
), which is the same except for the Lauren to Rauren conversion:

  According to Sports Houchi Newspaper (in Japanese), the English cast
  for Howl's Moving Castle is:

  Howl: Christian Bale
  Old Sophie: Jean Simmons
  Young Sophie: Undecided
  Witch of the Waste: Lauren Bacall
  Calcifer: Billy Crystal
  Madam Suliman: Blythe Danner

  Unlike the Japanese version, Sophie will be played by two actresses,
  young and old. According to the article the voice for young Sophie has
  not yet been decided.

  The film will open in New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco on June
  10th, and in 60 other cities on 17th. The article claims that it will
  be released on 700-800 screens.

  A less detailed English article from Yahoo! Asia News (spotted at
  OnlineGhibli.com) is also available.

Time to schedule that North America get together, if people are still up
for it.  I still don't have a full-time job, so maybe it's time to sell
those old Magic cards on eBay.  Not that my collection will bring more
than about $10.  :)

-deborah
--
I myself have never been able to find out precisely what
feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist