Howl casting

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 17 10:57:29 EST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Kyla Tornheim wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
> > > Madamm Salliman: Blythe Danner
>
> Wait, whoa. Is this character instead of Wizard Suliman? Or what?

Yes, she's instead of Wizard Suliman (with, as I understand it, a side
order of "or what").

> I quite like the other castings, except for Billy Crystal as
> Calcifer. And I do like Billy Crystal; he just doesn't sound like
> Calcifer to me. Too, um, American, I guess.

My mental image of the animated Calcifer has the voice of John Cleese,
specifically John Cleese as the crotchety title character from the
film version of Norman Lindsay's 'The Magic Pudding'. But I don't
think that's quite right, either; it's just a semi-random connection
my brain made without consulting me first.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."