Help with Howl: Rugby, Welshisms and saucepans

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 16 20:15:27 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 HSchinske at aol.com wrote:

> By the way, why do Sophie and Michael understand what submarines are
> (when Neil is talking about the poem rhyming "wind" and "finned")?

Well, obviously, because there are submarines in Ingary (or at least
somewhere in the world, from which news has come to Ingary).

It could have been an authorial oversight, but I prefer to think of it
as a subtle reminder that Ingary isn't *just* a cliche fairy-tale
land.

> (This is of course a joke on the poem having a visual rhyme.)

I always pronounce the "wind" to remind with "find", myself.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."