Howl's Moving Castle

mecha godscylla mechagodscylla at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 12:35:31 EST 2005

>From: Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net>
>To: dwj at suberic.net
>Subject: Re: Howl's Moving Castle
>Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:37:26 -0500
>
> > major SPOILER for "Howl's Moving Castle"
> >
> > which
> >
> > if
> >
> > you
> >
> > haven't
> >
> > read
> >
> > yet
> >
> > you
> >
> > really
> >
> > ought

> > and
> >
> > stop
> >
> > reading
> >
> > now
> >

> > Here's Howl, turning the dog back into Percival:
> >
> > "'Sit there and take it easy, and tell us what you do remember. By the
>feel
> > of you, the Witch had you for some time.'
> > 'Yes,' said Percival, rubbing his face again. 'She took my head off. I -
> > remember being on a shelf, looking at the rest of me.'"
>
>I _Know_ this is a folktale element (as is the sweeping of the mess out
>the door) but of course I can't remember WHICH folktales. I want to
>think Baba-Yaga types and/or Russian, but I may be wrong.
>
>Bear in mind that a lot of Oz is reworked fairy tales-- as it should be!
>
>--

Here's a link to the Vasalisa and Baba Yaga story online:
http://www.davidengland.co.uk/Vasalisa.htm

The aspect of HMC that always reminded me of Baba Yaga was the moving
castle.  After reviewing the folk tale, it gives me a new appreciation for
what DWJ did with the fairy tale trope of work and tasks. Fun!  And then
there's the glowing skull, too.

Elise