Help with Howl: Rugby, Welshisms and saucepans

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Wed Mar 16 08:28:12 EST 2005

I believe the "welcome in the valley" is from an old Welsh song (which
I can't seem to find the lyrics to at the moment though I sang it in a
recital a couple of years ago), which my parents' Welsh friends used to
sing.

I'll keep hunting if no one else knows the lyrics.

widdy

On Mar 16, 2005, at 6:46 AM, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> Can someone elaborate on the origin of the phrase "welcome in the
> valleys"?
> I gather this is somehow specific to Wales, but is there something to
> it
> other than plain geography? Do the Welsh think of themselves as being
> particularly welcoming?

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.
Abraham Lincoln

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net