Help with Howl: Rugby, Welshisms and saucepans

Robert Baker-Self Robert at bloodandhonour.nildram.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 07:24:07 EST 2005

These ones are easier.

> Would a Rugby club be a group of fans, or the actual players themselves?!
> I've just realised this could be one of those phrases that means something
> quite different in British and in American!

A rugby club would be the players, plus the back-room staff. Depending on
the level of the club the exact nature of this would change. An amateur club
would also include ex-players and other associates, and the youth team.

> And one last shot in the dark: there's a bit where Howl says to Sophie,
> "Busy old fool, unruly Sophie". I got that that was a John Donne
allusion.

It is - it's from "The Sun Rising"
Busy old fool, unruly Sun,
Why dost thou thus,
Through windows, and through curtains, call on us?
Must to thy motions lovers' seasons run?
Saucy pedantic wretch, go chide
Late schoolboys, and sour prentices,
Go tell court-huntsmen that the king will ride,
Call country ants to harvest offices,
Love, all alike, no season knows, nor clime,
Nor hours, days, months, which are the rags of time.

Robert
Unless someone chips in, I can answer some of the others too.