Help with Howl: Rugby, Welshisms and saucepans

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Mar 16 08:09:11 EST 2005

Two more:

Would a Rugby club be a group of fans, or the actual players themselves?!
I've just realised this could be one of those phrases that means something
quite different in British and in American!

And one last shot in the dark: there's a bit where Howl says to Sophie,
"Busy old fool, unruly Sophie". I got that that was a John Donne allusion.
There are also allusions to Hamlet in a later chapter, where Howl says "alas
poor Yorrick" to the skull, and later "something is rotten in the state of
Denmark". I'm wondering if there are any other such allusions I might have
missed. This is the sort of thing us translators dread, the potential for
humiliation is vast. There wouldn't happen to be anyone here who's prepared
a List of Obscure Literary Allusions and other Translation Pitfalls in
Howl's Moving Castle? Sigh. Didn't think so.

Gili