DWJ online to answer questions

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Tue Mar 15 04:29:47 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 07:11:07PM -0800, Ven wrote:

>And, for that matter, why should a web
>chat require travelling all the way to London?
>What do these people think all this new
>technology is for anyway?

There's a good chance they haven't managed to set up any sort of secure
authenticated access to their servers, so the only way they can be sure
that the person connecting is _really_ Diana is to have her physically
present in the office using a PC on the private network.

Publishers (in general) are among the most incompetent users of
computers I have come across in a fairly varied career. Why am I not
worried about saying this here in the company of publishers? Because
anyone who is able actually to read this message (even in the web
archive) is ahead of 95% of the publishers I have met...