Times article on DWJ/Conrad's Fate

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Mar 14 21:02:37 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Paul Andinach wrote:

|On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
|
|> Alas, not all people are as kind as Tim W-J with the hyphenation.
|> It's usually Spanish names that screw me up.  Ortega y Gasset, José;
|> García Márquez, Gabriel; Muñoz, Juan Bautista.
|
|/me is confused. What's ambiguous about "Jose Ortega y Gasset"?

That I speak no Spanish?

|The y in a Spanish name, like the hyphen, always falls in the middle
|of a pair of surnames, never in between the given name(s) and the
|surname(s). (One of the pair is a person's father's family name, the
|other his mother's; but I don't recall off-hand which is which.)

See, the place where I get confused is there are many name tidbits --
"de" and "y" and suchlike -- and where they go in the surname  (and
worse, whether they count toward alphabetization!) is (a) confusing to
someone who can't keep track of the many conventions in the languages
she doesn't speak, and (b) changes depending on how long the family has
been living in English speaking countries.  For instance, my high school
French is not up to coping with the difference between French names as
used in France and French names as used in England where they've been
happily English since 1066.

Don't even get me started on countries with patronymics.  Or worse,
patronymics and surnames, both.  I'm sorry, any Russians that are here.
*hangs head in monlinguistic shame*

-deborah
--
The main character is a misogynistic, hermaphroditic,
heavy-drinking, ultra-cynical aardvark. It's an acquired taste.