Times article on DWJ/Conrad's Fate

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 14 20:33:49 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> Alas, not all people are as kind as Tim W-J with the hyphenation.
> It's usually Spanish names that screw me up.  Ortega y Gasset, José;
> García Márquez, Gabriel; Muñoz, Juan Bautista.

/me is confused. What's ambiguous about "Jose Ortega y Gasset"?

The y in a Spanish name, like the hyphen, always falls in the middle
of a pair of surnames, never in between the given name(s) and the
surname(s). (One of the pair is a person's father's family name, the
other his mother's; but I don't recall off-hand which is which.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."