Random DWJ discovery of the day

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Mar 14 15:44:47 EST 2005

Jadwiga said...

>> Don't know about the others, but Irish is perfectly sensible language
>> which
>> at least has the decency to follow its pronunciation rules consistently,
>> unlike English. :-)
>
> That's because English 'does not merely borrow from other languages, but
> follows them down dark alleys, knocks them down and goes through their
> pockets for loose grammar.' As a language its the equivalent of Corporal
> Nobby Nobbs.

Oh, I know.  (I do love that quote, too.)

Don't get me wrong; I adore the English language with all of its glorious
confusions, peculiarities and perversions.  You can say more, and in more
ways, in English than in any other language I can think of.  Which leaves
other languages, Irish among them, muttering sulkily "well, at least our
pronunciation makes sense". :-)

Though for a really *sensible* language, of the ones I know German takes the
prize.  It doesn't go in for different spellings for the same sound, or
different sounds for the same spelling; when it needs a new word it calmly
sticks two or more existing words together; a change in grammar or word
order is far more likely to produce an obviously different meaning than a
similar change in English (assuming said change doesn't simply render the
sentence meaningless)...German is a very precise and orderly language.  (A
colleague of mine and I regularly bemoan the fact that German is not the
universal language of technical documentation; it's far better suited to the
job than English is.)

> I've always wondered what the place-numen of Bath was like (given that I
> live in America, where 100 years is a long time), since it seems to have
> had some rather drastic personality changes...

ObDWJ:  Quoting Neil Gaiman, who has strong DWJ links..."We have history.
You have geography."

Can't answer your question, however, since I've never been to Bath.

Oxford, however, which I visited recently, gave me an impression of "I know
things.  But I'm not going to tell you."

Dorian.