Times article on DWJ/Conrad's Fate

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 15:00:35 EST 2005

Minnow wrote
<Don't worry about being told that she broke her
neck last year: that's
simply incorrect.  And we haven't moved the
Severn Estuary so that it flows
past her house (do estuaries flow?  I suppose
they can if they want).  And
so on.  It's a newspaper article, one can't
expect it to get simple facts
right, or even the name of its subject.>

Having read this and the subsequent discussion I
found myself thinking "Getting an author's name
correct is very important. Somebody should put
them right".  "So," I said to myself, "go on
then." I have just sent the following to the
letters page of The Times:

<Mistress of the Multiverse not Immune to Human
Error

Good as it was to see Diana Wynne Jones featured
in your pages (March 12th 2005)  Amanda Craig's
article contained several unfortunate errors.
Passing over the renaming of the River Avon as
the Severn estuary, fans will be pleased to know
that it was not "last year" that she broke her
neck. Most importantly her surname is "Jones",
not "Wynne Jones", which will be helpful for
those looking for her books no doubt.>

Now my regular paper, The
as-esteemed-as-a-newspaper-can-be Guardian, has a
"Corrections" column which would have been a more
suitable venue, but we'll see.

Amanda Craig has a website where she has posted
the interview but there is no email or I would
have forwarded the letter to her also.

Ven