Times article on DWJ/Conrad's Fate

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Mar 14 14:59:54 EST 2005

I waxed slightly indignant:

>>Fuzzy?  The Severn Estuary was four miles away from Bristol, last time I
>>bicycled out there.  It is also completely invisible from any road near
>>DWJ's house, because there is rather a lot of hill in the way.

Elise noted:

>I would never have noticed any of this but for everyone discussing it, but
>the author does note in the opening line that the taxi got lost and they
>were wandering around.  Getting lost trying to find DWJ seems very in
>keeping to me --  got to look for her house only out of the corner of your
>eye or you'll end up at the Severn estuary, apparently.

Good thought!

It says they were "on the slopes of Clifton in Bristol," which I bet they
weren't, I bet they were in Hotwells really, but that's a mere quibble.
There really is nowhere in Clifton from which one can see the Severn
Estuary.

Truth to tell, only very rarely can a taxi find DWJ's road, for the very
simple reason that there *isn't* a road; her house backs onto a mews at the
end of a road that has a different name from the row of houses she lives
in.  All there is in front of her house is a footpath, along which children
walk to school, and beyond that a steeply-sloping patch of grass and trees
called "the green" (not marked on maps as such) -- and no road above that
either, just the private communal gardens behind the terrace further up the
slope.

Bristol has bits like that, quite free of traffic.  One of the blocks I
know has houses on all four sides, but their back gardens don't meet in the
middle; instead there is a small farm, which can only be reached down what
I'd call a snicket, or a ten-foot, a little muddy unadopted road barely
wide enough for a car.  I only ever found out it was there because they
have dalmatians, and advertised pups for sale at a time I was looking for
one.  And right in the middle of thriving Clifton there's not only a small
reservoir hidden in the middle of a block, there's also a tudor house in
another block which when we very nearly bought it twenty-five years ago had
no access wider than a footpath, and no mains services except water!  About
a mile from the city centre, that one.  I still feel slightly wistful about
it, except when I think about taking out the dustbins or taking in such
items as a 56-lb bag of potatoes.  :-)

Minnow