Times article on DWJ/Conrad's Fate

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Mar 14 08:29:34 EST 2005

>On 14/3/05 11:53 AM, "minnow at belfry.org.uk" <minnow at belfry.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Judith wrote:
>>
>>> Well, for the uninitiated (and unWelsh) like myself, I always assumed
>>> "Wynne" was part of a surname, a double-barrelled name without the hyphen“I
>>> understand it's a family name, so I do think the confusion is understandable
>>> (or perhaps I'm merely being an ignorant colonial). I've never known whether
>>> to shelve her under W or J.
>>
>> "Weel, ye ken the noo!"  :-)  I've just had a quick check in some of the
>> DWJ books I have around, and both the Library of Congress
>> Cataloging-In-Publication Data and the British Library Cataloguing in
>> Publication Data sections in any that give them at all give it as "Jones,
>> Diana Wynne", which seems like a fairly clear indicator for librarians,
>> I'd've thought?
>>
>Perhaps. I'm not a librarian.
>Judith

Nor am I, but if I am for instance preparing a bibliography, or doing
anything else that needs authors in alphabetical order, I grab any help I
can find; in the front of a book, under the copyright stuff, there is often
guidance.  That it's there for the benefit of librarians doesn't mean I
can't use it, though I suppose I might be risking the wrath of the privy
organisation of librarians (that runs the world really) by revealing one of
the prized secrets of their trade.  If I am never heard from again you will
know that their agents have been dispatched to deal with this infringement
of their prerogatives.

Minnow