Times article on DWJ/Conrad's Fate

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Mar 13 19:53:08 EST 2005

Judith wrote:

>Well, for the uninitiated (and unWelsh) like myself, I always assumed
>"Wynne" was part of a surname, a double-barrelled name without the hyphenãI
>understand it's a family name, so I do think the confusion is understandable
>(or perhaps I'm merely being an ignorant colonial). I've never known whether
>to shelve her under W or J.

"Weel, ye ken the noo!"  :-)  I've just had a quick check in some of the
DWJ books I have around, and both the Library of Congress
Cataloging-In-Publication Data and the British Library Cataloguing in
Publication Data sections in any that give them at all give it as "Jones,
Diana Wynne", which seems like a fairly clear indicator for librarians,
I'd've thought?

And this reporter could have asked, if she wasn't sure!

Yes, lots of forenames get used as surnames and vice versa, like Howell.
Not being Welsh, I'd probably assume Howell was a surname unless it was
made obvious that it wasn't.  I had two friends one called James Eliot and
the other called Elliott James, at one time, which was a tad confusing.

>And, of course, there's Canadian writer Tim Wynne-Jones to further addle we
>ignorant folk...

He's got a hyphen.  So has Grace Wynne-Jones.  So there's no need to worry
about them.

The ones that worry me are Chinese names, because half the time their
owners are being polite to the ignorant English and put the patronymic at
the end as we do, and the other half of the time they're not, and one never
knows which it is unless one asks or one of the names is obviously
European, like Vanessa, which gives one a fair go at it.

And then there are awkward cusses like Teddy and Fox who don't use a
patronymic at all, which confuses the bejasus out of computers.

Minnow