Times article on DWJ/Conrad's Fate

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Sun Mar 13 19:11:56 EST 2005

> I'm disappointed.  It's the same one as the one I had.  It calls her "Wynne
> Jones".  Pah!  If she were "Diana Gwen Jones" would they refer to her as
> "Gwen Jones" as if the Gwen were part of the surname, I ask crossly?  They
> don't call Edgar Allan Poe "Allan Poe" when they're talking about him!

Well, for the uninitiated (and unWelsh) like myself, I always assumed
"Wynne" was part of a surname, a double-barrelled name without the hyphen‹I
understand it's a family name, so I do think the confusion is understandable
(or perhaps I'm merely being an ignorant colonial). I've never known whether
to shelve her under W or J.

And, of course, there's Canadian writer Tim Wynne-Jones to further addle we
ignorant folk...

Judith

Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff