Times article on DWJ/Conrad's Fate

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Sun Mar 13 18:29:13 EST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Roger Burton West wrote:

>    With the Severn estuary gliding dreamily on one side and a patchwork
>    of delicate, brightly coloured Regency houses and eclectic gardens
>    tumbling down the hill on the other
>
> (Both quotes taken from the URL Minnow posted.)
>
> Roger

I realize that I know nothing about the geography of Bristol, so I don't
know how plausible my interpretation is, but the line before this does
say, ". . .as my taxi got lost on the slopes of Clifton in Bristol,
searching for Diana Wynne Jones's home. . . ."   I read the passage not as
suggesting that the estuary was right by her house, but that it was
somewhere on or near the slopes of Clifton, where the taxi was lost while
trying to get to the house.  Does that make any sense, or is it
inconsistent with reality?  I can't help with the part about DWJ's neck -
that seems to say exactly what Minnow thinks it seems to say ;-).

				---Kyra

---
"As long as there's a breeze brushing my cheek and grass to lie in, I
don't need anything else, and I'll smile with satisfaction."
				---Akima Tsueno, "Kaze wa Mirai ni Fuku"