Charles de Lint

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Mar 12 17:03:11 EST 2005

>On Mar 12, 2005, at 7:01 AM, jack at greenmanreview.com wrote:
>
>>*I can tune out a lot, but there were a couple of real clangers -
>>* someone having taken and failed exams to go to comprehensive school,
>>* and someone else driving in the rain with the driver's side window open
>>* and getting their *left* arm wet! But it still didn't spoil the book,
>>* and as you say, the musical appendix is great.
>>
>>Keep in mind that they aren't AmMericanisms taht are causing you to
>>groan, but reflect
>>his Canadian upbringing.
>>
>>--
>>

>And, not to be snippy, but why on earth would talk of drivers
>driving on the other side of the road possibly ruin a book for you?
>
>When you're reading an American author, don't you expect
>Americanisms? When you're reading a Canadian author, don't you
>expect Canadiansims? When you're reading and Australian author,
>don't you expect Australianisms?
>
>widdy
>(feeling ornery and irritable)

Quite in a mood to share your feelings, but I *think* this was
written with reference to _The Little Country_, which is set in
England - so shouldn't have Americanisms like getting your left arm
wet while driving.

I've almost lost the plot as well as the thread, so if it wasn't,
apologies (and would virtual chocolate help?)

Hallie