Charles de Lint

Rosemary Hopkins rosieburroughs at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 12 04:19:56 EST 2005

--- "Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale)" <Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com>
wrote:
> > > "The Little Country" - rather less popular, and may not be a good
> > > place to start, even though it's the one that got me hooked.
> >
> > I love this book, in spite of the inappropriate Americanisms
> setting
> > my teeth on edge. The actual story is good enough for me to cope
> with
> > those.
>
> I didn't spot those.  I think I must have developed an ability to
> tune
> out Americanisms when reading US and Canadian writers.  There are one
> or
> two howlers about travelling in Britain, though (what on earth was he
> doing on Victoria station?), but as you say it's such a good book
> that
> it doesn't matter.  And the musical appendix adds quite a bit for
> me...

I can tune out a lot, but there were a couple of real clangers -
someone having taken and failed exams to go to comprehensive school,
and someone else driving in the rain with the driver's side window open
and getting their *left* arm wet! But it still didn't spoil the book,
and as you say, the musical appendix is great.

Rosie