Random DWJ discovery of the day

Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania at gnomic.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 14:43:54 EST 2005

> >> Each of the
> >> countries I was thinking of had its treasures: a stone, a cauldron, a
> >> spear, and so on.
> >The Four Great Treasures of Ireland are: the Lia Fail, the Cup of the
> >Daghda, the Spear Luin (spear of Light), the Sword Freagarach (the
> >Answerer).
>
> The Welsh have a similar lot, in the Mabinogion (which I am *not* going to
> go and read in order to locate references!) and the English seem to have
> had rumours about some -- who lost or relocated those is unclear, but the
> sword Calibran seems to have ended up either buried in Glastonbury Tor or
> at the bottom of a lake, for instance.

And harking back to a recent discussion, the four treasures correspond to
the four suits of the tarot and also to the four elements; there is also the
whole Christian thing - the cup/cauldron being the grail, the spear has
connections to the one which pierced Christ's side, and I can't remember the
rest.

Bear in mind that some of the preceding info may have been gleaned from
assorted cosmic nonsense books I used to read before I discovered reading
old Irish and Welsh literature in the original.

> >> Some Scots call it "the stone of destiny" as well, but in Gaylic rather
> >> than Garlic, or Gallic, or whatever the difference of pronunciation for
> >> the different branches of the tongue is.
> >Their language is Scots Gaelic (to us outlanders); ours is Irish Gaelic
(or,
> >if we're not explaining things to outlanders, Irish (if we're speaking
> >English) or Gaelige (if we're speaking Irish)..."Gaelige" is more-or-less
> >pronounced GAYL-guh - hard Gs, both).

Pronunciation of Scottich Gaelic ('garlic') is a rendition of gaidhlig;
Irish Gaelic ('gay-lick'), as Dorian said, is fron Gaeilge, which before the
horrid spelling reform (ca. 1940) used to be spelt Gaedhilge. Both
ultimately descend from the Welsh, or Brythonic, pejorative term for the
Irish 'Gwyddel', meaning a woods-dweller (a little like heathen, and with
similar implications/connotations)- gwydd is W. for wood, and the Irish
cognate is fiodh.

Ania