Random DWJ discovery of the day

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Mar 10 19:49:04 EST 2005

Minnow said...

> Dorian entered a caveat:
>
>>Oy!  The Stone of Scone, as those Scots insist on calling it, is *ours*,
>>damnit!
>
> Ah.  I thought that was a different one again.  My error.

Nope.  Ours.

> Each of the
> countries I was thinking of had its treasures: a stone, a cauldron, a
> spear, and so on.

The Four Great Treasures of Ireland are: the Lia Fail, the Cup of the
Daghda, the Spear Luin (spear of Light), the Sword Freagarach (the
Answerer).

> Mostly nobody knows where they are any more.  (I am not
> convinced that the thing they took up over the border a few years back was
> the original stone of Scone, that seems to have been had away with at some
> point by someone who didn't want anyone crownded on it, and quite possibly
> a ringer returned a bit later on.)

Well, if it's the real thing, the Lia Fail is currently in Edinburgh Castle.
I don't believe anyone knows where any of the other three are now, though.

> Some Scots call it "the stone of destiny" as well, but in Gaylic rather
> than Garlic, or Gallic, or whatever the difference of pronunciation for
> the
> different branches of the tongue is.

Their language is Scots Gaelic (to us outlanders); ours is Irish Gaelic (or,
if we're not explaining things to outlanders, Irish (if we're speaking
English) or Gaelige (if we're speaking Irish)..."Gaelige" is more-or-less
pronounced GAYL-guh - hard Gs, both).

> So I ought to have added Ireland to the list, but I'm unsure whether it's
> several different places most of the time (Leinster Ulster Munster...) or
> one as well.  What does it think about it?  Does the power still reside in
> the place of the crowning of the high kings, or has it split up?  Anyhow,
> it isn't part of the same island as England so it can stand aloof from
> this
> minor argle-bargle and look smug.  :-)

Hm.  Overall, Ireland is one place, though its individual places sometimes
try to assert their individuality.  There is still a lot of power at Tara
(one-time home of the High Kings), but there is also a lot of power in other
places.  Tara itself is currently under threat from a motorway; I think the
land may have been spreading its power out because of this threat and others
like it.  Most of it is still concentrated in the Boyne Valley, though, if
not necessarily at Tara itself (it probably isn't a coincidence that one of
the most important human battles in our history was the Battle of the
Boyne).

>>(Patrick and I had a certain amount of...discussion...with the tour guide
>>in
>>Edinburgh Castle on this topic.)
>
> WAINS?

With the who what now?