Random DWJ discovery of the day

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Mar 10 19:05:39 EST 2005

>Minnow said...
>
>> and Scotland and Wales and
>> Kernow have their own hearts thank you very much.  And their own
>> King-Stones as well, see Scone and argue about how to pronounce it.

Dorian entered a caveat:

>Oy!  The Stone of Scone, as those Scots insist on calling it, is *ours*,
>damnit!

Ah.  I thought that was a different one again.  My error.  Each of the
countries I was thinking of had its treasures: a stone, a cauldron, a
spear, and so on.  Mostly nobody knows where they are any more.  (I am not
convinced that the thing they took up over the border a few years back was
the original stone of Scone, that seems to have been had away with at some
point by someone who didn't want anyone crownded on it, and quite possibly
a ringer returned a bit later on.)

Some Scots call it "the stone of destiny" as well, but in Gaylic rather
than Garlic, or Gallic, or whatever the difference of pronunciation for the
different branches of the tongue is.

So I ought to have added Ireland to the list, but I'm unsure whether it's
several different places most of the time (Leinster Ulster Munster...) or
one as well.  What does it think about it?  Does the power still reside in
the place of the crowning of the high kings, or has it split up?  Anyhow,
it isn't part of the same island as England so it can stand aloof from this
minor argle-bargle and look smug.  :-)

>It's actually called the Lia Fail ("stone of destiny") and it's one of the
>Four Great Treasures of Ireland.  Unfortunately, some silly king went and
>lent it to the Scots to help them choose a king (they being Irish settlers
>anyway).  Then the English got it off the Scots, and then the English gave
>it back to the Scots...and now the Scots refuse to give it back to us or
>even to acknowledge that it's ours really.

I shouldn't worry too hard about it, on account of see above about possible
inauthenticity.  It may be a seventeenth century fake.

>(Patrick and I had a certain amount of...discussion...with the tour guide in
>Edinburgh Castle on this topic.)

WAINS?

Minnow