OT - need your verbal ingenuity

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Mar 10 18:32:09 EST 2005

Minnow said...

> DWJ again: Paris is named after a similar God to London's, a fire-god who
> had a massive temple where Notre Dame is now, and Lumen would be just like
> them, pre-empting the idea of enlightenment.  It may not immediately sound
> Parisish but does it need to? she asks...

It's the same god, in fact.  Lugh, the Il-Deanach, the Lamh-Fhada (the
all-crafted, of the long arm).  He's a favourite god here too, and wielded
the spear Luin (another of our Four Great Treasures) against Balor of the
Evil Eye at the Second Battle of Moytura.  At least in Ireland, he's more of
a sun-god than specifically a fire-god.  He rules light and love and life
and is very kindly inclined towards humanity.

And he is indeed, as DWJ says, the source of the Latin name for Paris
(Lutetia, as Philip pointed out), as well as London.

Dorian.