Random DWJ discovery of the day

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Mar 10 18:24:55 EST 2005

Minnow said...

> and Scotland and Wales and
> Kernow have their own hearts thank you very much.  And their own
> King-Stones as well, see Scone and argue about how to pronounce it.

Oy!  The Stone of Scone, as those Scots insist on calling it, is *ours*,
damnit!

It's actually called the Lia Fail ("stone of destiny") and it's one of the
Four Great Treasures of Ireland.  Unfortunately, some silly king went and
lent it to the Scots to help them choose a king (they being Irish settlers
anyway).  Then the English got it off the Scots, and then the English gave
it back to the Scots...and now the Scots refuse to give it back to us or
even to acknowledge that it's ours really.

(Patrick and I had a certain amount of...discussion...with the tour guide in
Edinburgh Castle on this topic.)

Dorian.