OT - need your verbal ingenuity

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Thu Mar 10 09:42:21 EST 2005

> How about Denisville for Paris? (Trouble is, it sounds like something
> out of the Beano.)

I don't know what the Beano is, but Denisville is instantly recognizable
to me as a small town on the northern reaches of the Mississipi river,
first named by voyageurs, briefly profitable during the expansion of the
nineteenth century, and now consisting of a feed store, two parking
lights, some decaying mansions and a Greyhound bus stop (which will be
taken away at next year's route revision).

I would love to incorporate some verbal remnant of St. Denis into the
name, though. One of those saints whose positive attitude I've always
admired. (Ce n'est que le premier pas qui coute.)   Just call the city
Denis? Hmm, Denesian fashions doesn't sound good.

And, of course, you can't do a thing with all those kings named Louis,
because we all know where Louisiana is, and Louisvillle is a town on the
banks of the O-hi-o.

I begin to see why some people dislike the French. They are mighty
intractable in the matter of their language, aren't they?

Paris is drawn from the classics, though. Didn't any of his brothers
have useful names? Forget Hector; I ve never been able to take Hector
seriously since a Russian boyfriend told me he was pronounced "Gector"
in Russian.  (Brief scan of names of the Priamedes - the Internet is
actually useful at times)  Can't use Bias, Chromius sounds like a heavy
metal, Chrysolaus has possibilities, Clonius is a Roman cloned sheep,
Deiopites has too many vowels, ...ok, ok, I'm seriously looking now, no
more tacky jokes....Evander,  Hyperion, Lysides, Nereis all seem to me
to have possibilities in making the right sort of sound, although
they're also so obscure nobody can be expected to catch the parallel.

Can I do anything with the Seine? Hmpf. Seineville is upstream from
Denisville, and it doesn't even have a traffic light.

French again.

I am beginning to consider moving the capital of France south so we can
have Poitevin opera and Provençal fashions. But still churning away on
all the helpful suggestions.

--
Margaret Ball
margaret at onr.com