Woman's Hour

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Thu Mar 10 05:21:35 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:34:28PM -0000, Anna Zofia Skarzynska wrote:
>I found it annoying because as soon as you download the trial version (the
>one offered free, that is) it sets itself up as the default music playing
>application on your machine, and if you change that back to whatever you
>were using before, real player resets that back again without so much as a
>by your leave.

It also reports back to Real Networks various things it finds on your
system. (A Windows firewall can block it, of course.)

There are alternatives. mplayer under Linux works very nicely. Under
Windows, your best bet is probably Real Alternative, which packs up the
relevant old codecs and players into a single download:

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm#realalt

Roger