OT - need your verbal ingenuity

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Wed Mar 9 22:44:09 EST 2005

>Langue d'oc" or "langue d'oil" then surely the
>country is Oc or Oil?

No, it means "language where 'oc' means yes" and "language where 'oil'
means yes". Hence the southern part of France was sometimes referred to
as the Languedoc, but I don't think the other construction caught on
(probably because medieval Parisians, just like their modern-day
counterparts, think their version of French is the Only True Version and
there's no need to define it further). I was trying to make something
out of the other construction but it doesn't sound good, you're right.

--
Margaret Ball
margaret at onr.com
www.flameweaver.com