OT - need your verbal ingenuity

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 9 21:40:45 EST 2005

Margaret said:

I appreciate all the ideas and I am delighted and honored that DWJ is
willing to play with my trivial problem. I'm collecting suggestions,
appreciating them, and stuffing them in the back-burner brain box that
grinds away overnight (or even for several days) before coming to a
decision. So please don't stop!  The brainbox needs all the fuel it can
get.

I was thinking about playing with the old "langue d'oc" and "langue
d'oil"  division to call France something like Langueduil, but that
doesn't lend itself to adjectivisation, and it just... doesn't... sound
right.

I suppose it would be tacky to call the country Grenouille.

We-e-ell . . .
. . . It's YOUR country, after all.

Though if you're thinking of "Langue d'oc" or "langue d'oil" then surely the
country is Oc or Oil? (Occitan rings a bell here). I can't help but feel
that Oil does sound a bit modern and political for an alternative country.

Intrigued,
Elizabeth.