OT - need your verbal ingenuity

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Wed Mar 9 11:53:39 EST 2005

This has nothing to do with DWJ, but I need help and this list is full
of people who delight in wordplay, so:

The fantasy book I'm writing now is set in a sort of alternate-Scotland,
with half taking place in the Orkney Islands and half in a capital city
which I've named Caudebec and which looks like Edinburgh but has the
society of Regency London. I don't have any trouble, mixing and matching
Orkney placename elements for those locales, but the French are giving
me trouble (naturellement). France exists only on the fringes of the
novel - there's nothing set there, but I have people saying things like
"She will expect me to disccuss Parisian opera and French fashions!"

So....I'm trying to think of alternate names for Paris and France that
will convey the message "I'm talking about France, but this is an
alternate-world setting so it's not really France" and I'm blanking out.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

--
Margaret Ball
margaret at onr.com